JOB ANALSYSIS: This is the procedure for determining the duties and skill requirements of a job and the type of person who should be employed for it.
JOB DESCRIPTION: A list of job’s duties, responsibilities reporting relationship, working conditions and supervisory responsibilities.
JOB SPECIFICATION: A list of job’s human requirements that is the requisite education, skills, personality etc.
What is studied in Job Analysis?
(1) work activities
(2) human behaviour
(3) machine, tools, equipment used
(4) performance standards (expected from the employee)
(5) working conditions – organizational and social context
(6) human requirements i.e., job related knowledge, skills, education and training, experience, aptitude, personality and physical standards.
Apollo Hospital has been growing in size as it offers quality, prompt-caring services to the patients. Dr. Chandrashekar the Administrator is a person with good medical knowledge but lacks knowledge and skills involved in human resources management. The hospital has large quantities of medicine, equipment, spare parts of important machines installed in the hospital. As usual, the Hospital has employed a “storekeeper” with no previous experience of Hospital Stores. Mr. Ramakant the storekeeper was working earlier in an engineering firm and had sufficient knowledge of such stores. Ramakant reports to the purchase Executive whose job is to order requisite materials for requirements of the entire Hospital, Dr. Chandrashekhar has been receiving various complaints from the staff and doctors of non-availability of medicines, drugs, spares of equipment and other consumables required in the Hospital having 500 beds. Since the hospital so far did not employ a qualified Personnel Manager, the administrators are not aware of the job analysis procedures, nor do they have job description and job specification of any of the jobs being performed.
(1) Write down the job analysis, job description and job specification of a storekeeper’s job?
(2) What specific standards and specification would you include in the job description and job specification.
(3) How would you go about in developing a standard job description and specification?
(4) Which are the staff members from whom you would collect useful information and requirements of this job?